In my last letter, I spoke about the importance of becoming a masterful receiver as you are growing your capacity to give your gifts in the world. (If you missed it, read it here.) My husband Jack and I designed a staycation and found that it was a beautiful way to receive.
RECIPE TO CREATE YOUR OWN SOUL-SATISFYING
1. We invited some close friends to come and stay with us and shared our intention to create a staycation and be together in mindfulness, collaboration, authenticity, and play.
2. We hired the cleaning ladies to come the day before.
3. We created a menu along with the friends who were joining us, using fresh food from our garden and the farmers market.
4. We set up a space for us all to do yoga together in the mornings. We practiced each day for about thirty minutes before breakfast.
5. We meditated twice a day for fifteen minutes. Sometimes we were silent, and other times we used Tara Brach’s guided meditations, which you can find on her website, here.
6. We planned an outing in nature, hiking or walking each day.
7. We all cooked meals together and shared in the clean up, so it was not only super easy, but a fun way to chat and be with each other.
8. In the afternoons, we included time for everyone to go off and do their own thing, whether it was to lie on the outdoor couches and read a book or head off to take a nap.
9. Before dinner we shared outdoor cocktails, mocktails and music.
10. We asked everyone to be unplugged for those days and take a break from electronics. For many of us, we are so used to checking our devices that to interrupt this pattern and give ourselves some space can be a remarkably rejuvenating act.
11. We created intentional dinner conversation themes.
One of the nights my husband Jack decided on the theme of Love. Each person told a story of love. This turned out to be a beautiful evening, with tears and laughter as we learned things we didn't previously know about each other.
Another evening we each started with the sentence "If you were to really know me right now, you would know that...".
At one breakfast, we asked each person to see if they were withholding any stories, judgments, or appreciation from anyone else at the table. This created a very lively conversation and brought us all closer together.
I 'm gifting you a step-by-step guide for how to do a clearing with someone. I know of no better practice to increase intimacy and trust in relationships. Download it here.
By the end of the three days, we were fed on every level—spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally.
Conscious leaders grow their capacity to receive alongside growing their capacity to give in the world.